Almost every transaction concluded in South Africa has an element of VAT. VAT output or input is determined on a transaction by transaction basis. The South African legislation has zero rated transactions subject to VAT at 0%, standard rated transactions currently subject to VAT at 15%, and exempt supplies.
Our VAT specialists are able to analyse huge volumes of data using in-house developed software to make the process of VAT return submission and reconciliation process preparation much effective and efficient. We are able to easily apply all other relevant provisions of the VAT legislation to the analysed information like the timing of the supply which determines when output tax was payable or input tax deductible, the value of the supply and all other important information necessary for the completion, submission and accounting for VAT.
Our VAT services include but not limited to the following:
- VAT registrations and de-registrations
- VAT health checks, risk assessments and compliance reviews
- Providing assistance when liaising with SARS, including:
- Requesting for waiver of interest and penalties
- Applying for extensions for the submission of returns and other administrative and compliance issues
- Assisting with disputes and drafting of objections and appeals against assessments
- Requesting advance tax rulings or private binding rulings
- Advice on the indirect tax implications of existing business structures as well as reorganisations, mergers and acquisitions
- Assistance with the compilation of procedures manuals, the design and implementation of appropriate internal controls to facilitate the proper management of all indirect tax compliance issues and the training of staff in this regard
- Assistance with the drafting of input and output tax schedules, turnover reconciliations, completion of VAT201 forms and submission thereof to SARS
- Drafting of opinions on the VAT treatment / implications of certain transactions
- VAT analytics