South Africa’s public sector is under increasing pressure to focus on professionalism, governance, accountability and a commitment to value for money. At SNG Grant Thornton we understand that government and public sector entities have diverse objectives – from meeting service delivery targets and achieving greater transparency, disclosure and accountability to implementing large-scale investments in infrastructure and operations.
We recognise the importance of supporting the entire government value chain from initial strategy development through to the implementation and final evaluation of decisions and activities, as well as skills development.
Our distinctive service
Public sector professionals from SNG Grant Thornton are dedicated to providing specialised advisory services to government at all levels. Our extensive experience in public sector institutions, services and systems give us a deep understanding of the complex issues our government faces.
At SNG Grant Thornton, we have a distinctive form of service. We combine a proactive approach with personalised attention to deliver a service in partnership with our clients at national, provincial and local government levels and for other state-owned enterprises.
Our firm’s rigorous financial, risk and analytical processes help our clients tackle complex issues by strengthening management capabilities, increasing technical know-how and improving financial security. The result is clients with enhanced competitiveness and the potential for future economic growth.
Public sector services
We deliver effective advice based on our understanding of the issues our clients face, the demanding culture in which they work and the difficulties associated with implementing political and economic decisions.
To assist our clients in unlocking the growth potential of our country’s economy, we customise solutions to deal with real concerns:
Strategy and planning
Setting the strategic and operational direction of government departments/organisations:
- Strategy planning & development
- Policy formulation
- Performance & operational planning
- Financial transaction advisory
- Project valuation (feasibility studies & business plans/cases)
- Economic Impact Assessments
Budgeting and controls
Quantifying resource requirements and specifying controls for government organisations:
- Zero-based budgeting solutions
- Budget-holding & cost centre management solutions
- Procurement planning and activity-based costing solutions
- SCOA classification for budgeting, recording and reporting to facilitate the recording of all transactions
- Due diligence
- Risk management
- Preparation of policies and procedures
Implementing governments’ capital, operational and maintenance programmes:
- Clean audit
- Revenue management
- Cost/expenditure management
- Supply chain management
- Asset management
- VAT reviews
- Performance reporting
- IT advisory
Reporting, monitoring and evaluation
Tracking the achievement and transparency of government objectives:
- Financial audits
- Statutory & contractual audits
- Voluntary statutory audits
- Non-statutory audits
- Performance audits
- IT audits
- Financial reporting advice/solutions
- Forensic & probity investigations
- Policies & procedures monitoring
- Sustainability reporting
- Asset verification
- Governance & Board effectiveness